Sometimes I get an idea in my head as to how something should look, how something should turn out or how a project should go, and while that vision can be helpful to keeping things on track I need to do a better job of managing my expectations. The reality is that it's technology, and in the case of my company it's technology that's usually being used in a way that doesn't quite fall under the standard use-cases.
In technology, and especially in a leadership role, sometimes the best way to drive a project forward is to be willing to move sideways. Focus on the important aspects and critical deliverables and make sure that the end result provides value to the business. There are always going to be things that don't look exactly how you envisioned, I think the trick is to realize that there are many ways to succeed and sometimes a surprise or change in plans/scope isn't a bad thing.
I'm going to do better at taking my own advice. :-) Thank you to the team for putting up with me today.
2,453 total views, 10 views today
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)